CIW Program FAQ
- What skills are taught in the CIW training program?
- How often is the CIW courseware revised?
- Why should I certify with CIW?
- What sets CIW apart from vendor-specific certifications?
- Do the vendor-neutral CIW certifications work well with vendor-specific certifications?
- Can anyone pursue CIW certification? Or do I need prior knowledge, certifications, qualifications or experience?
- How do I get started on becoming CIW-certified?
- How long does it take to get CIW-certified?
- Does my CIW certification ever expire?
- Are CIW certifications valuable to someone who is not in an IT job role?
- How do I use the CIW Movies in my studies?
- What is the relationship between CIW/Certification Partners and Habitat For Humanity?
- I heard that the CIW certification program offerings changed in 2011. Which CIW certifications are no longer offered?
- I hold a CIW certification that has been retired. Can I still claim to hold this certification on my résumé?
- How many exams must I pass in order to earn the CIW Web Foundations Associate certification?
- So if I earn all three of the modular CIW Associate certifications, I will also be awarded CIW Web Foundations Associate status?
- If I pass the CIW Web Foundations Associate exam, will I also receive the three modular certifications?
- I was already a certified CIW Associate before 2011, when the certification title was changed to CIW Web Foundations Associate. Was my certification automatically reissued as CIW Web Foundations Associate? And can I have the three modular certifications as well?
- Do I need to become a CIW Web Foundations Associate before I can earn other CIW certifications?
- Under the current CIW Web Foundations Associate program, can I say I am "Foundations-certified" or that I am a "CIW Associate"?
- Whom should I contact if I have additional questions about CIW?
- What does the CIW acronym stand for?
General Program Questions
- 1. What skills are taught in the CIW training program?
CIW consists of multiple training and certification tracks that map to industry job roles. No matter which pathway(s) you pursue, you learn the latest technologies and job skills that make you an innovator in Web and Internet technologies. Earning CIW certification proves you are ready to put these skills to work for your employer. Following are some of the skills you learn while pursuing CIW certifications:
CIW Web Foundations Associate - basic knowledge of Internet technologies, Web authoring with HTML5, network infrastructure and troubleshooting, and business skills such as project management.
CIW Web and Mobile Design - skills, technologies and tools for designing Web applications that can adapt to the variety of Internet-enabled devices available today, including desktop computers, tablets, smartphones and smart TVs.
CIW Web Security Associate, Specialist and Professional - strategies and tools for protecting an organization's assets and operations. CIW offers three certified levels of expertise in conjunction with security certifications from CompTIA, ISC2 and others. Get more details about these pathways and access links to the individual certifications.
- 2. How often is the CIW courseware revised?
We respond directly to technology advances and market demand for updated skills. Although we do not follow a set schedule for revisions, our courseware revision cycle is typically one to two years. The CIW Advisory Council—a team of influential educators, corporations, policymakers and nonprofit organizations—meets regularly to identify the skills and knowledge that students and employees need in the current job market. The Advisory Council then helps to define new skills and exam objectives for CIW.
- 3. Why should I certify with CIW?
Take a look at our Why CIW page.
- 4. What sets CIW apart from vendor-specific certifications?
A vendor-specific certification validates an individual's skills and knowledge in using one or more particular products. Such a certification limits skills validation to that product and/or vendor. The CIW program is vendor-neutral, meaning that the program focuses on the essential skills needed to perform job roles rather than simply use specific products.
However, CIW does not ignore essential tools and applications. CIW verifies your abilities to use a broad range of cutting-edge technologies and tools. You learn about multiple vendor tools, their underlying technologies and how they are used in business situations—essential because many companies' technology infrastructures are hybrids of multiple vendors.
- 5. Do the vendor-neutral CIW certifications work well with vendor-specific certifications?
With CIW, you learn the underlying technologies common to many vendors' products. This provides a solid foundation for individuals pursuing specialized study in vendor-specific certification programs. People who are CIW-certified find it easier to pass vendor-specific certification exams because they know the core technologies and standards used by vendor-specific applications.
- 6. Can anyone pursue CIW certification? Or do I need prior knowledge, certifications, qualifications or experience?
Anyone interested in pursuing or enhancing a career in Internet technologies or other IT-related fields will benefit from earning CIW certification. No prerequisites are necessary to earn any CIW certification. The only requirement is passing scores on relevant certification exams.
However, the certification exams are challenging and comprehensive. CIW offers training programs and curriculum to teach the knowledge and skills tested on the certification exams. These courses are not required before taking CIW exams or to earn CIW certifications, but for many candidates they are extremely helpful.
- 7. How do I get started on becoming CIW-certified?
The first step is to begin your training in CIW topics and skills. Visit the CIW Online Store to purchase a CIW self-study course, including courseware, study materials, practice exams, online resources, exam vouchers and more. When you are ready to take CIW certification exams, you can locate testing centers through your training provider or by visiting VUE, our third-party testing center provider. If you originally purchased your course without the exam voucher, you can visit the CIW Online Store to purchase the exam voucher by itself.
- 8. How long does it take to get CIW-certified?
There is no set time period for earning a CIW certification. Certifications are awarded when exams have been passed and other requirements have been met. Preparing to take and pass CIW exams is a personal matter that depends on your existing knowledge level and experience: Some students have more to learn and need more time than others.
- 9. Does my CIW certification ever expire?
CIW certifications do not expire. Once CIW certified, always CIW certified. However, the CIW skills objectives and certification exams are revised periodically when the industry dictates that updates are needed. CIW strongly encourages candidates to update their certification status by taking new versions of exams and earning the latest version of each certification, in order to demonstrate their current skills to the job marketplace.
- 10. Are CIW certifications valuable to someone who is not in an IT job role?
CIW certification can be helpful for many professionals—in marketing, design, public relations or office administration, for example—who need to demonstrate their skills in the Internet technologies related to their jobs. Individuals in any job roles that use computers, technology and the Internet as primary tools by which to do business can benefit from earning CIW certification.
- 11. How do I use the CIW Movies in my studies?
Some CIW courses offer movie files that discuss selected technology topics. These online movies are an integral part of the CIW program and offer a multimedia experience that appeals to alternative learning styles. Students can review movies on their own time to reinforce material when studying. To view the movies, log on to the CIW Online Campus at http://education.certification-partners.com/ciw. If you have any questions, please contact Product Support at (866) 370-3511 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note that the movies provide supplementary instruction in a multimedia format, and enhance the coursebook narrative and labs. However, movie content does not comprehensively address CIW exam objectives and is not intended to replace coursebook content.
- 12. What is the relationship between CIW/Certification Partners and Habitat For Humanity?
There is no formal relationship between Certification Partners and Habitat For Humanity. Some of the labs within the Official CIW Curriculum are based on the Habitat Web site, which is useful for illustrating many of the Web site construction principles discussed in the official courseware. We have obtained permission from Habitat For Humanity to use this material, and representation of its site in this context is with Habitat's knowledge and permission.
- 13. I heard that the CIW certification program offerings changed in 2011. Which CIW certifications are no longer offered?
The following certifications were retired on June 30, 2011:
- CIW Associate
- CIW Professional
- CIW Associate Design Specialist
- Master CIW Administrator
- Master CIW Enterprise Developer
- Master CIW Web Site Manager
Note that most of these certifications were replaced with equivalent or similar CIW certifications that carry new titles. Market changes reflect the need for CIW to focus more closely on Web-based technologies.
- 14. I hold a CIW certification that has been retired. Can I still claim to hold this certification on my résumé?
Yes, you can cite any current or past CIW certification on your résumé. However, CIW will no longer market or award the retired certifications in the future. CIW certifications reflect an uncommon level of professionalism and technical skill, and represent a significant personal achievement. Taking new versions of exams and earning the latest version of each certification demonstrates to the job marketplace your current skills, your commitment to evolving technologies and your initiative.
- 15. How many exams must I pass in order to earn the CIW Web Foundations Associate certification?
CIW Web Foundations Associate is one of the most popular Information Technology training and certification programs in the world. The series includes three topic modules, each covered in a separate course of training, and each validated in a separate high-stakes certification exam.
Certification candidates who take and pass the 1D0-610 exam will earn the CIW Web Foundations Associate certification. Alternatively, you can now become a certified CIW Web Foundations Associate by passing all three of the following modular exams in this series:
- CIW Internet Business Associate (exam 1D0-61A)
- CIW Site Development Associate (exam 1D0-61B)
- CIW Network Technology Associate (exam 1D0-61C)
You will earn the corresponding certification for passing each modular exam. If you earn all three of these modular certifications, you will be awarded the comprehensive CIW Web Foundations Associate certification in addition.
- 16. So if I earn all three of the modular CIW Associate certifications, I will also be awarded CIW Web Foundations Associate status?
Yes. If you earn the CIW Internet Business Associate, CIW Site Development Associate and CIW Network Technology Associate certifications by passing the individual exams (1D0-61A, 1D0-61B and 1D0-61C), then you will also be awarded the CIW Web Foundations Associate certification status.
- 17. If I pass the CIW Web Foundations Associate exam, will I also receive the three modular certifications?
No. When you earn the CIW Web Foundations Associate certification by successfully taking and passing the comprehensive 1D0-610 exam, you will not receive the modular CIW Internet Business Associate, CIW Site Development Associate and CIW Network Technology Associate certifications. The modular designations are awarded to provide proof of smaller, more focused skill sets, as well as to show a path of progression. Our research shows that those who elect to take the single comprehensive exam generally possess more experience and larger skill sets, and instead use more advanced certifications to demonstrate their progress and specialized skills.
- 18. I was already a certified CIW Associate before 2011, when the certification title was changed to CIW Web Foundations Associate. Was my certification automatically reissued as CIW Web Foundations Associate? And can I have the three modular certifications as well?
Under the new program, the previously named CIW Associate certification is equivalent to the new CIW Web Foundations Associate certification. However, we do not automatically reissue new certificates to previous certificants. The certification you earned is still valid and still relevant in the industry, but it is an earlier version. Taking new versions of exams and earning the latest version of each certification demonstrates to the job marketplace your current skills, your commitment to evolving technologies and your initiative.
The three modular Associate certifications now offered by CIW are awarded only to those who pass the three modular exams.
- 19. Do I need to become a CIW Web Foundations Associate before I can earn other CIW certifications?
No. You are not required to pass the CIW Web Foundations Associate exam(s) to qualify for more advanced CIW certifications. However, most individuals should consider earning the CIW Web Foundations Associate certification(s) to ensure and prove that they have the proper base of skills for their career.
- 20. Under the current CIW Web Foundations Associate program, can I say that I am "Foundations-certified" or that I am a "CIW Associate"?
Yes. If you earn all three modular CIW Associate certifications or the comprehensive CIW Web Foundations Associate certification, then you are considered a CIW Web Foundations Associate. However, you will need to be more specific if you pass only one or two of the CIW modular Associate exams. For example, if you earn only the CIW Internet Business Associate certification, you are not necessarily a CIW Web Foundations Associate.
- 21. Whom should I contact if I have additional questions about CIW?
Simply complete and submit our brief Contact Form. We will respond to you promptly.
- 22. What does the CIW acronym stand for?
The CIW brand has come to represent quality standards in IT job skills certification and education. The program's original name has evolved and we now simply use the term CIW to emphasize the brand. CIW is a family of professional certifications and associated curriculum.
Originally, CIW stood for Certified Internet Webmaster (CIW). Since then, the CIW program grew to include job-role certifications that exceed the boundaries of the Internet and the role of the Webmaster. CIW certifications now validate skills and expertise in more advanced and diverse IT disciplines, such as server administration, security, application development, programming languages and enterprise solutions, as well as computer and Web skills practical for every job. As such, the formal program title was modified for the 21st century to Certified Internet Web Professional.
For exam-related questions, please visit our Exam FAQ page.